Posted by: estherreeves | March 26, 2009

We have finially started to plant things.

This last weekend Tom was hard at work making raised beds and while he did that I started to get the first few potatos in. Over Sataday and Sunday I only managed to get 2 rows in which was two lots of first earlies. Red Duke of York (9 of them) and Formost (8 of them). I planned to get the swift and Lady Christl in too but my knee was complaining so they will go in net time i get a moment.

Swift - very bright Green shoots

Swift - very bright Green shoots

Lady Christl - short, very bulbous shoot bases.

Lady Christl - short, very bulbous shoot bases.

Red Duke of York

Red Duke of York - Deep purple shoots, red rootlets

I did get as far as photographing them all and the difference in the nice little stumpy shoots on them was very interesting.

Formost

Formost - dark green shoots, red rootlets.

Our loft turns out to be perfect for chitting just the right amount of light and heat.

The beds got made on Sataday and I painted them both with preservative.. I’m not totally happy about using it as it isn’t Organic but i also want them to last as long as possible so decided to use it. I am probably about 90% orgainic and have been a member of what is now called Garden Organic so long I really should have brought a life membership in the first place 🙂 However as I see it all these things are more complicated that some people would have you believe and everything is a compromise based on what is most important to you..

Sunday we got them in place and mostly dug in now we need some more compost or similar as I want to build at least one up to grow some root vegs as I think the soil as it is too heavy to get good roots and we want parsnips and carrots at the very least. Oh and beetroot must have beetroot !!

sataday - painted frames and potatoes down the far end.

sataday - painted frames and potatoes down the far end.

Beds in situ on Sunday

Beds in situ on Sunday

Original bed needs weeding. New beds are shorter.

Original bed needs weeding. New beds are shorter.

We made the new beds shorted as the site dips down into a ditch before rising to a bank with the hedge on top. I think I’m going to use the space for herbs partly in pots and partly growing up on the bank for those that like good drainage as they shouldn’t get waterlogged up there.

I also have a bunch of seeds growing in pots at home including tomatoes, peppers, glode articokes, pumpkins, courgettes, sweet peas, basil and parsley. Have plenty more things that need planting up too as is the norm this time of year!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: